November 15, 2010

Happy National Bundt Cake Day!



C'mon now, sing with me!

        Bah la, ba la la laaaa
        Bah la, ba la la laaaa
        BUNDT-day BUNDT-day
        So good to me
        BUNDT-day morning
        It was all I hoped it would be...


Yes folks, it's November 15th, which means it is National Bundt Cake Day! I never knew such day existed until I read about it on Mary the Food Librarian's blog last year in which she did 30 Bundts in 30 days! It was an amazing feat for sure, until this year when she decided to do it again, and in the middle of it all, single-handedly created a dessert bar for my friend Jun's wedding (Mary wrote about it here). How incredible is that?!

I know this little blog of mine has been solely dedicated to my knitting hobby, but I figured what the heck, since I write about being craftsy with yarn here, I might as well write about my occasional craftsy endeavors in the kitchen.

Growing up, I never really liked cake with frosting. I'm not sure if it's an Asian thing, but frosting is just too sickeningly sweet to me. I would eat the cake and the filling (usually fruit) and leave the frosting untouched. What a waste! Now the Bundt cake is a different story - there's just a leeeetle bit of icing on top, and more often than not, there is NO icing or just powdered sugar. My Mom made Bundt cakes when I was growing up and we always enjoyed them a lot. Ever since I moved out, got married and now have my own kitchen, I've made plenty of cakes and treats, but it never occurred to me to make a Bundt cake until now!


The Bundt I decided to make is a Lemon Bundt Cake. Since this was my first Bundt from scratch, I was a little scared, so I found the easiest-looking recipe online. But because I didn't want a clear glaze but more like a runny icing (is that the correct term?) like a classic Bundt, I added about a cup of powdered sugar to the glaze.

Here are the action shots!

Some ingredients: 1 Bundt pan, 2 sticks of butter, 3 lemons (I got mine from the local Farmer's Market!), 4 eggs.

(I borrowed my Mom's Bundt cake pan since mine didn't arrive in time)

The dry ingredients. I use a my trusty Microplane Grater/Zester for the lemon zest. 
It's so much faster than using a zesteur!

Mixing up the wet ingredients: butter, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon extract

The Bundt pan, Pam-ed and floured. I don't have the specialty Pam for baking so I did it the old-fashioned way.

Batter up! Such a nice pretty pale yellow.

Ready for the oven!

Making the icing. With a tablespoon of lemon zest, it smells so lemony and wonderful.

Bundt out of the oven! But is it done?

Yay, clean! (Since this is my first Bundt, I hope I didn't over-bake it...)

Bundt cooling on the rack. It came out of the pan easily after cooling for 10 minutes. Phew!

Now it's glazed and ready for National Bundt Day!

Now that I'm looking at the last photo again, I realize I need to take glazing lessons. It looks a little too drippy, not like the lovely classic Bundt that I envisioned. But, like I always say with my knitting projects - the next one will be better! :)

Thank you for the inspiration, Mary!

[Note: This post was written Sunday evening and I've scheduled it to post Monday morning. Fingers crossed it turned out okay!]



No comments: